Friday, April 20, 2012

It's a Small World

Last summer my family visited my wife's family in Centennial, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. I've been there many times over the past 15-16 years. I like the Denver area. While I'm no Bronco, Avs, Rockies or Nuggets fan I do like the fact they have all the major sports leagues there and have first class facilities. Also, there are lots of things to do and see in Colorado, including Ilitch Garden's an amusement center/water park located right next to the Pepsi Center.

Last summer we visited a dinosaour museum in nearby Parker, Colorado. Little did I know at the time I was literally in the backyard of future T-bird, Seth Swenson. Not sure we'll make the trek to Colorado this summer but if we do it appears another new T-bird is a neighbor of my in-laws. Seattle just signed goalie Danny Mumaugh, a Centennial, Colorado resident. Now, he's probably not living right next door to the in-laws; Centennial is a decent sized community but if he needs a ride back up this way for training camp, maybe we can oblige.

Mumaugh was at camp with the Thunderbirds last year as a free agent invitee. I'm sure he was keeping his college options open and thus went undrafted by the WHL. Seattle obviously liked what they saw from Mumaugh and Mumaugh must have felt comfortable with the WHL route because he's now signed, sealed and delivered. This probably gives Mumaugh a leg up for one of the goalie spots on the roster for next season.

It's somewhat ironic with one T-bird goalie, Calvin Pickard, leaving for (eventually) Colorado, one of his potential replacements come from Colorado. Maybe my family and I should keep visiting the Denver area every summer, if it means bringing back another quality player for the T-birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment